Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Boulder Fire.

Oh it is so sad.

7200 acres burned. 93 homes lost. (yesterday) now today, 135.

My Sugarloaf is burning... this pic was taken in July.


We fell in love with Boulder Canyon after we took this hike up Sugarloaf.

The canyon is absolutely amazing.

Beautiful.

Green pines everywhere.

it is nicknamed mini Switzerland.

And you can tell why.



The fire started burning Monday morning at 10:10.

I was just finishing my half marathon run at 10:00...it was a beautiful, sunny morning.

Not a cloud in the sky.

BUt immediately the wind picked up. fast. and in gusts.

So fast that I almost couldn't run in it.

I made it home and within minutes, smoke filled the sky.

Coming from Boulder we could see huge plumes of heavy smoke headed towards us.

It was fire. a big fire.

We turned on the news and Fourmile canyon was BURNING....

It was heart breaking.

(the boys looking out towards Fourmile canyon where the fire is now)


Ash fell on our home and cars. It burned your eyes to be outside.. The sun turned orange and casted a dim glow on everything.

Everyone went inside.

The fire has burned and burned.

The first day, it was hard for the firefighters to stop due to the location and the 65 mile hour winds.

But today, just an hour ago, a little bit of rain.

Just a little, but it helps.

Here is a pic from our front porch just an hour after the fire started.


Ashlyn was so upset about the animals burning.
She was worried they wouldn't run.
I reassured her they were fine, they have instincts, they know when to flee.

It has been 3 days and it is still going.
It's barely contained...they are trying so hard, dumping retardent on it
and sending in 100's and 100's of firefighters.

Pray for rain!

and pray for all the people who lost their homes.

It's so sad to see them on the news.

As we drive back and forth, we can see the constant smoke rising from the Boulder mountains. At night, a red glow brims above the hills.

But hopefully it will change soon.

let's hope.

Maybe better news tomorrow.

(hiking down Sugarloaf Hill)


3 comments:

Natalie said...

Wowsers!!! That fire is close and keeps on burnin. I hope you can run outside again soon. Don't do it until the air has cleared. I love the pics of the canyons.

The Stotts are a fishin family. I can't believe how many fish you all catch. Now you should learn how to cook them. Soooo good for reals. So true that we need to enjoy these times with our kids because not too long ago we were those kids. Crazy. Good luck getting gone this week.

Robyn said...

Breathtaking views, and I'm so sorry that your new country is on fire. It makes my stomach hurt, to think about what it will look like after.
And that looks way too close, will your homes be safe??

Everything else going on in the Stott Fam looks fantastic! It's so fun to see all your new friends and new adventures and see how much closer you've grown together. Which was hard to do, cause you were already.:)

Penny said...

Oh how I hate fires. i am glad that you got to see it beautiful but it is all the sadder because now you know what you are going to be missing for so long. Luckily Colorado is so beautiful and their will be more places to visit and hike but I mourn with you.