"As we express our Gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter the words, but to live by them." John F. Kennedy
One of my biggest fears as a mother is that my kids don't fully learn about Gratitude, a grateful heart, to recognize their most simplest of blessings....and to then give back.
In the spirit of Thanksgiving I did a home evening to kick off the month of November.
I called it Gratitude.
Simple lesson, simple message:
We have been given much, so we must give back.
They each received a journal to record 2 things:
1. My 3's. 3 things they are grateful for that day.
2. Service. One nice thing they did for someone else...
I want them to look outside their little lives and see how blessed they are and how simple it is to maybe bless someone else's life. Who knows, maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I just hope that just a tiny bit of my lesson will touch their little hearts....
And I sure know that I need this lesson. For the past couple of weeks, I have had a pity party at my house. For me, I am feeling down, lots going on and I need my Gratitude journal to help me remember as well....
Accentuate the positive,
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mr. in-between
Good advice then. Good advice now
President Thomas S. Monson, Ensign May of 1992
So for the Stott's...
Off to the Thanksgiving season,
trying to stay focused on what's important
and what's truly NOT.
Love a little more, appreciate what we have,
remember why we are here,
cherish the sweet things.....
stay focused on what's really important.
Happy Thanksgiving season to you!



7 comments:
Man girl.... you exhaust me. Could you please take my kids and raise them and then hand them back over when they become amazing, responsible adults???
I would do that lesson and then the only one that would participate would be Alex. How do you do it. They all seem eager and willing. You are such a good mama with fabulous ideas. Your thoughts touch me and make me want to be better. I think you are positive and always grateful for all you have. Thanks for the Thanksgiving lesson.
ahhh Wendy and Nat...you are mi hermanas! I heart you! Especially at Thanksgiving time...I love my friends. BOTH of you, inspire me. xo
I am in love with this idea. What a good example you are to your kids and to me.
I have a gratitude journal, and I think I will be writing your name in it tonight.
Thanks!
xoxo
I, too am in awe of your home evening ideas. Way to go cool Mama. BTW, the kids will remember!
Robyn, sister friend
..speaking of example,
YOU and ALEC are my example...
For the Warmth of the Children...
I have socks for you!!!
Love YOU!
Post a Comment