Do you ever wonder if you are doing enough?
Do I read enough books to Mace?
Could I study more math box with Jake?
Do I take enough time for the twins homework?
Is there more I could do for them?
Could I focus more? On the kids? on church? on me? on Ry?
Should I stop girls night once a month? (okay, NO, i love my girls!)
But do I feel guilt? (yes)
Did I do my visiting teaching? Am I doing good enough in my church calling?
Could I offer to help someone in need?
Do I do enough to support my hubby?
(Easter 2007)
I know could hold more consistent FHE and read the scriptures more.
I could pray more often too.
Am I just SIMPLY. doing. enough??
And you know what the answer is:
NO. I doubt it.
I go to bed wondering the majority of those questions all.the.t i m e.
I worry, stress, wonder and hope.
BUT, in my defense. I am a mother.
(Ashlyn 7. Me pregnant with Mace 2006)
And mother's worry, stress, wonder, and hope.
Right?
That's our jobs. plain and simple.
We put so much on our OWN plates.
We are the nurtures, the fixers, the one the kids rush to with all their needs.
But that's okay, in fact that's great, because that's my job. That's what I signed up for.
A mother.
Plain and simple.
But really us mom's know it's just not plain and simple.
Nope, it's not. In fact, it's quite the opposite!
We probably all go to bed with the same stream of questions running through our minds.
I am doing enough? could I do more? what can I change? who needs more help?
I feel guilty all the time that maybe I could. do. more. each. day.
But I know that's an incorrect thought.
I think the world "looks down upon" motherhood. but really that thought only empowers me more.
I always wanted a house full of kids. Wanted a loving hubby, houseful of babies,and a white picket fence. I never ever wanted a "career." My career was my babies, a good hubby, a hardworking mama.
(day before I delivered Mace. Easter 2006)
The perfect story right.
Well somewhat of a naive dream. A dream of a little girl her whole life. Believing whole heartedly in her picket fence.
(April 17, 2006)
I got it. But I also know that Life is not simple and neither is motherhood.
We all know that. As mothers we know how hard we work every day.
And it's okay it's not simple. Its not supposed to be.
And we don't get bonus or paychecks or a vacation getaway for doing all our chores.
Nope.
but you know what I get?
A sloppy kiss from Mace professing his love to me, Austin coming home from school and telling me he got voted in as his class president, Jake going to his baptism preview and not wiping the smile of his face, Ashlyn coming to me and thanking me for all I do for her.
Yup, that's my paycheck. And I will take it. I will take it over any monetary payout. Forget the extra money or bonuses. I got them right inside my home. In fact I got four of them.
They bring me my satisfaction and joy every day. I love it. I love my job. hard? Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. but worth it.
So when the stream of questions enter my mind and run through it endlessly:
I wonder, I worry, I stress, over and over and over....
in the end. I know.
I know I am trying my hardest.
I know Ry and I are doing all we can.
I have put my heart and mind fully into motherhood.
All the work and sacrifice for so much reward and love now. I am happy.
And guess what?
I know I am not perfect, I know I make mistakes every day. And I feel lots of guilt. And hopefully that's okay.
So all you mama's who relate to me, I appreciate it.
I really do. And January is a slow month. Not crazy like December.
It gives you time to reflect. To wonder. To question.
I know I am a stay at home mama and love my job.
Now off for more cleaning, cooking, helping, oh and worrying, wondering and stressing.
For that, I thank you. Thank you life.
Sept. 2008



9 comments:
I think we all feel that guilt. I know I do now (more than ever)! We really do all we can--it is something that comes naturally within us and we strive for it everyday. Sometimes we make mistakes, but we keep on going no matter how hard it is.
I know I have to. It sucks. It's hard. I hate it some days. But I do it because of my kids. They need me as a strong mother to be there for them.
You are amazing to look up to as an example. Actually I probably shouldn't watch you because my hopes will get up too high! :)
This was fantastic. If you haven't read the talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland titled, "Because She Is A Mother" you need to. Right now! Find it on LDS.org in the April 1997 Conference Report (so May 1997's Ensign). Go, right now and pull it up and have a good cry. It. is. wonderful! You do an amazing job!
Tawny I think you do an AMAZING job as a mother, wife, friend, volunteer, umm... ya just about everything!! I seriously read your blog to remind me that I CAN do this and I CAN strive to be a better mom. You truely are inspiring and I am impressed with all that you fit in. Those kids are blessed to have you as their mom!
XOXO
WHAT???? Girls Night Out Once a Month. That makes you a better mom. I think you go out with sisters 3 times a week. Quit one of those before quiting us.
I get what you are saying. Is there ever enough time to do all we wish we could do. NO. We do our best and that's all that is asked of us.
You are a great mama, wifey, friend, daughter, sister and everything else. You do a ton for everyone. I often have the same thoughts and make them go away. There is a season to everything. We are doing the best in our season right now. See ya tonight. Dork.
BTW. I love the preggo pictures. Those are treasures.
Girls! I love you all...your comments made me so happy!!
And I did go and read Jeffrey R. Hollands talk and cried right through it! I needed to hear that...we all need reassurance sometimes!! (all go read it!!)
I just love the fact that us mama's are all in this together and can rely on eachother for comfort, help and reassurance!!And to know that we are all NOT perfect and that's okay, as long as we are trying our best. right?!
thank you all!! and cheers to mommyhood! xo Tawny
My favorite mommy guilt quote is this: "You don't have to be perfect, just good enough." We all have to find our own sense of balance between raising kids, building a marriage or relationships, and keeping our sanity. Hard to do the first 2 if we don't spend some time on the sanity part. So keep up the girls nights out, sister time, and running. I think you're good enough and quite a bit more. I'm just glad I have you and the other Brown girls to look to as I try to figure out my own stuff. Love ya
I would be a much better mother if I stopped reading blogs for hours!!!! ha ha
You KNOW how I feel
I question EVERYTHING...
my role
my job
my love
my effort
my faith
my compassion
my strength
my self esteem
EVERYTHING
but in the END
I know what I do
and all that I give
is for my children
they have made me want to do better
to give more
to be more
they have given me LIFE
and THAT is priceless
Loved it. And so true. Sometimes we feel pressured because this is...."all" we do. Gets old! But we really are so blessed to be ABLE to stay home with our kids. I, like you, consider it a blessing from above.
Post a Comment