Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The JOURNEY onward.

Every June my siblings and I hike Mount Olympus.





We hike right up the center and up to the twin summit peaks.



It is beautiful, amazing, and 5 miles from our doorstep.



It is one of the tallest peaks in Utah. It looms 9,026 feet (above sea level) up in the air. The valley floor sits around 4200 feet.



We hike 5ooo feet UP.



It is a strenuous, hard 3.1 miles.



The reward:



The MOST amazing view at the top.



I mean breathtaking, wondrous 360 degrees views of our valley.



You really can't describe it until you see it for yourself...it is simply awesome.



But



I have to say that this hike is hard,



it is hot, it has switchbacks that go on and on.



By the time you reach a mile from the summit, you take giant steps UP. Your legs burn, your lungs burn and you wonder why you even started up this looming mountain?



You take lots of water breaks but you keep going because you know that V I E W is wating for you at the top.






That is my road now. today.



I feel like our new journey is comparable to Mount Olympus.



I know the top is beautiful, it is worth it, the reward is great,



BUT the journey to the top is tiring, demanding, stressful, and plain right hard.



Ry and I have now started up a few switchbacks of our journey....




And we know what's ahead, and we know what we will have to climb...






I sure hope we have enough energy to make it to the top?


The good thing?


Ry and I made a decision to make it to the top. period.


We have a vision of what's up there and it is wonderful, it is worth it.



We will take a day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. There is so much to do, so much to process, it is simply overwhelming....that's okay for me. The journey will be worth it. And remember, this is a good thing, a fabulous opportunity for Ry, it's just all the inbetween that is hard
(like leaving the nest, selling the house, new schools, new friends... and saying goodbye!)


Now hopefully



I can get one more hike of Mount Olympus in before we journey East.


I will have new mountains to hike, new places to see... it will be an exciting journey as soon as we get to. the. top. right?!

~And I do have fabulous memories of hiking mount olympus with my siblings. We have tried to go every year. The hike is beautiful. It is gorgeous the entire way up. You can see our city from Provo to Ogden to the Oquirrh mountains. The hike is worth it, tiring yes! A mile from the top you are nestled among pine trees and bushes that surround you tightly. You take giant steps up like climbing steep stairs to get to the top. Once at top, you can see up to Park City and over to Provo. The view is truly indescribable....God's creation is amazing! You can then continue on to the tip top of the twin summit peaks. BUT they are steep and rocky and you need a professional to go with you or you can fall and really hurt yourself. One year my sister Misty, and friend Lindsay and I hiked up the twins peaks by ourselves! WE were shaking and nervous the whole way up. We ended up with 2 guys to help us up and down, otherwise we would never had made it. It was so beautiful at the tip top (and I do mean top..look at the pics..you are literally at the highest point on the mountain! wow) but I wanted down fast! My only fear: heights. but I did it, I was proud of myself. The saddleback is just fine for me now. I have pics of our journey and wished I had a scanner to show you them....maybe one day! Now off to so much to do! xo!

9 comments:

Natalie said...

How did you find time to blog with the computer a mess??? Very well said. Describes your life perfectly right now. You are an optimist and so positive. Can I borrow a little of your juice. You are also so full of life and energy. I really admire all that you accomplish and the attitude that you accomplish it. This will be an amazing journey for your fam. We will all feel like we are there with you through your blog I'm sure.

La said...

I have never climbed Timp. I think this is my year. Good luck with all the "to do's" LMK if I can help. Seriously. (you have my email :)

Amber said...

Maybe in May when it is a little warmer we can hike it one more time. Hopefully, you will still be here by then. Boo for all of us I am so sad!!!!! I really will miss you so much, it will be different in a lot of ways. But, we will talk every day and visit lots. Knowing you, you will have frinds the first week. You will do great. We love you!!

tawny said...

Please Amber yes! yes! yes!
Let's get the girls together and go...(as the snow melts off the top)we are THERE!
I love that hike...good memories too!! thanks for your love girl! xo

Brandon said...

Great memories. I would love to do it again when I am around at the right time. Good luck with you new life adventures in Denver. I know you guys will come out on top

Unknown said...

You guys will do great! Every time we move to a new place, it takes 6-12 months to really feel like we belong there- those are the "switchbacks" for us. But the world is full of amazing people who will love you and help you on your way. We are so excited for you, and selfishly hope we still get to see you in August.

Unknown said...

Well. That dumb blog made me cry. I remember WELL our hike with Lindsey. Do you remember her feet were bleeding because she didn't wear socks? Those guys DID help us get up and down, but remember that guy stalked us later? He taped that note to my front door and put his phone number on it..."in case I ever needed him again." Creeper!

Unknown said...

oh crap it's misty not bri

Michele R said...

I love that name, Mt. Olympus. What a great bunch of memories. Like you've said before, you will be at the foothills of a whole other side of the Rockies to discover.
Uh-oh--I'm hearin Miley's song, The Climb, in my head now!