Friday, July 17, 2009

Thrillin' in numbers

Brown Fam's Thrillin Thursday:
Hike above the Mountain House!
Just across the street is a long private driveway and at the
top we started our lovely, H O T hike!

Hike in Numbers:


5: the number of kids under the age of 4 1/2

14: kids total hiking up the lovely mountain

92: degrees of heat that day


5: crazy mom's who would even think of taking their kids on a hike in the hot July heat.


18: Number of flip-flops worn on a hike! Yeah, real smart right?!

2: number of babies carried on the hip the entire time. (that's Mace and Cade!)

1,034: how many times the kids said they were hoooot!

13 : how many happy children who loved crossing the river on a bridge.

1: happy Grandma who was in charge of Thrillin this week and loved watching her grandkids in the warm mountain air.

1,299: rocks thrown into the mountain stream.

2: how many times Mace threw a rock and fell on his beee-hind. He was done with that.









9:kids who looooved being out in the mountain air exploring the mountains. (the little ones just were along for the ride!)



99: How many times I wanted an ice cold, diet coke

1,001: times I thought I how lucky I am to take the kids all around this state and play this summer. lovin it.


and I saved the craziest N U M B E R for last! :



2: How many S C A R Y R A T T L E S N A K E S we ran into on the trail.


Please look closely at my pic. You can not see her beady, black eyes with her spiral tounge sticking out....it is blocked by a leaf. BUT look at the pic and you can see her cream-colored R A T T L E R.
13: many frightened children seeing a rattler three feet from them.


1: Ashlyn who loved the rattler and got waaaay to close and is the one who informed me the snake was a girl with beady black eyes. I told her to ruuuun. She was ready to strike...and we got outta there.

And wait. Do you remember my post from a long time ago about my Tarantula friends at the Mountain House?????


2:yes two, tarantualas who tried to make a home with us at the mtn house. nooooo way 2:boys who happily got rid of those scary spiders (and the bug spray man!)

4, 098: times the mom's "kept a look-out" for more rattlers!

495 : times I tried to get Mace to just walk by himself! He wasn't going for it...










14: how many happy kids there were when we announced we were headed back! (Even though they loved playing in the mountains, they didn't like the snakes and man, it was HOT!!)

62: minutes the hike lasted

5: upset mamas when dad told them that the neighbors last fall had seen a cougar eating a deer on the neighbors back porch. The exact spot we started our hike. Thanks dad. A little to late.



2: yummy healthy cranberry almond scones my mom made for us girls for lunch.

7: minutes it took to eat the scones gone!




18: Happy people for enjoying the a nice summer day in the warm mountain air!

Thrillin was a hit again!

Get out more and enjoy this weather!! It's almost over!

xo!

11 comments:

ashlyn said...

that was a really fun hike. i found one rattlesnake, and cole found the other. the one cole found was rattling. and mine was just staring at me with its beady black eyes. talk about cool!!!! i loved to see it in its habitat. then when i was in the lead(the unstoppabale leader)i cound't wait to see more of it. but then every one got "hot" and "tired"!!! me and mom were up for more. but no, everyone got WEAK!!! GEESE!! COME ON PEOPLE!! HIKING IS FUN. THERE IS ALWAYS ADVENTURE AHEAD.YOU DON'T NEED TO WHINE 1,000 TIMES A MINUTE THAT YOUR HOT OR TIRED!! one day i am going to hike that whole hike and not COMPLAIN.!! so who's with me?!

Penny said...

I'm with you Ashes. I have hiked the whole hike before and its is really cool and quite long and I think it goes to park City!! But lets do it and get more with us. Thanks Tawn for post.

Nancy said...

Okay, Ashlyn wins for coolest girl ever...actually I think she's a chick! Seriously! She sounds like a mini-Tawny. I love the "everyone got WEAK" comments. Hilarious. Great post.

You forgot one number:

2: Nutty mommas who hike in a SKIRT?? Was it Sunday or something? :)

tawny said...

Wow Ashes, what a comment girl. In defense of her, she REALLY wanted to get to the top to show me where she had gone earlier with grandma. She was SOOO bummed that we turned around early, thus her little comment! :) and she is a lil dramatic at times! Love my girl

Anyway, nancy, I was wearing a simple summer skirt, not a church dress! Your comment had me laughing so hard.....!

and mom, love to hike the whole thing someday...Park City, cool. A little nervous of Cougars now :)

Brooke said...

What a darlin' post Tawny! I loved the numbers idea! BTW, I knew all about the cougars thing beforehand. Mom has tried to take me on that hike at least 3 times and I've refused because of the "cougar" incidents. There have been more than just one (Dad just left some info. out).

Putting all the scary stuff aside, I really had a great time and so did my kids (surprisingly enough). I thought Josh would whine and get tired...but he loved it. And Blake walked every step of the way. He told John all about it when he got home. So cute!

Ashes....you are a mini-mom.....

tawny said...

W H A T?!?!

Are you kidding me??

more than one Cougar?????

Ummm yeah, wouldn't liked to of known that before!

Thx dad. (and Brooke)and yes I know mtns have animals but NOT that close to home!

Amber said...

Two points: Snakes scare the life out of me. And I wear skirts because I hate my legs. Your friend Nancy made ma laugh so hard. Seriously very fun day but kind of scary, hate to admit it.

Natalie said...

As for your sister's trip, you are so lucky to have so many and do so many fun things together.

As for the hike, I can't believe you did it in the heat and in a skirt. A couple of you are wearing skirts. Crazy!

You have a funny way with numbers. They always seem to be exaggerated, but funny.

I am alive and back in the swing of things. Hope you have a fabulous day tomorrow. See ya Wednesday.

Kimberly W said...

It's not the skirt wearing I find strange, it's the hiking in flip flops.

I've got to be honest this activity contained a lot of things that I wouldn't like: extreme heat, dirt, spiders, and snakes. You are more adventurous than me.

The Gooch Family said...

Those scones sound delicious! Would your mom share the recipe?

brie said...

okay so this looked fun but let's be honest:

i'm kinda glad i wasn't there. snakes aren't for me, they're of the devil!

glad everybody stayed safe though!